Our adventure in the morning started with trying to convert American dollars into Pesos. After visiting four locations that were either out of pesos or without the appropriate employees, we gave up and simply headed for the border. Even without knowing Spanish, we successfully got our tourist visas and converted money right next door at the HSBC. (We also saw a Scotiabank in one of the cities we drove through.) Immediately after crossing the border, we saw many decrepid shacks and one of the boys asked whether people actually lived in there. I answered in the affirmative. Fifteen kilometres later we successfully got the vehicle permit without any hassle. This permit allows us to travel anywhere within Mexico and must be cancelled when exiting the country.
I must have been the only driver in Mexico that actually drove the posted speed limits, which regularly varied on the highway between 100km/h and 40km/h. During a construction zone I was driving at the posted limit of 40km/h and amassed a significant convoy of vehicles behind me. Uncomfortable at the large semi-truck at my tail, I pulled over and let them all pass, minimum 20 vehicles. Then I joined the convoy, traveling at their speed of 80km/h. When in Rome... I have learned that a slow posted speed limit on the highway immediately preceeds an intersection or set of businesses. A corresponding speed up sign will not necessarily exist so I find I need to make assumptions about when to speed up again. I've also learned, thanks to Sabrina, that the speed limit signs containing the word “saldo” applies only to the exit. I now have the satisfaction of ignoring those signs.
The internet didn't work again at our motel last night. We stayed at the Creston Motel in San Carlos, near Guaymas. It's known for its sandy beaches. We spent about an hour at the beach before dark and it was the warmest sea water we've ever experienced! Apparently it's also known for whale watching in the winter. After dark we went in the motel pool and it was as warm as a bath. I'm guessing it wasn't heated. The room was very different from the American motels we're familiar with. It had tile floor and lots of floor space. We were very glad it was air conditioned. When Curtis checked in, the manager gave him a key and the tv remote. There was no fridge so we had to buy ice across the street at Oxxo (looks like 7-11) to keep our drinks and margarine cold. I'm glad we'd already finished our cheese, yoghurt and milk.
We noticed a few things different as soon as we crossed the border yesterday. I had read over the traffic rules, telling Curtis anything out of the usual that he should know, but people don't seem to follow the rules. We frequently see people riding in the back of trucks, either sitting down or standing up. That's how we've seen police travel as well, with lights and sirens on, holding their machine guns. Scary! At inspection points we've been waved through with no conversation by machine gun wielding soldiers.
Curtis has been frequently annoyed by the changing speed limits. One minute it will be 100km/hour, then 60 or 80 then 40km/hour in town. Needless to say, our estimated driving times are way off! Yesterday we were only supposed to have to drive for 4 hours but it ended up being 6. Today was supposed to be 7 hours driving but looks like it will be more like 11! There are also annoying speed bumps before every toll booth or inspection area or even town. Some Mexicans take advantage of these spots to try to sell produce, cold drinks, or candy while you're slowing down. We did buy a big piece of fudge-like candy from one persistant man near a toll. It was really good! Tasted like caramel.
There has also been a lot of road work going on. At one place I saw a man sleeping under his work truck, having his siesta! There are horses and skinny cows right beside the road in many places. They don't seem afraid of the traffic at all.
It's also interesting seeing all the roadside shrines and chapels, mostly with paintings of the Virgin Mary on them. I thought it told a lot about the priority of this country that in the Oxxo store (which is everywhere, just like 7-11) which one would expect to carry the necessities that most people would require, also had a whole shelf of Mary candles.
No comments:
Post a Comment